The Japan Times
December 21, 2000

Disgraced archaeologist denies other findings were also faked

SENDAI (Kyodo) Shinichi Fujimura, an archaeologist who admitted falsifying two findings of Paleolithic stone tools in northern Japan, has denied rumors that more dig finds he was involved in were also fakes.

"No other fakes than the two," Fujimura, 50, former deputy director of the Tohoku Paleolithic Institute in the city of Tagajo, Miyagi Prefecture, said Monday.

Fujimura met the press for the first time after he publicly admitted Nov. 5 that he had fabricated the findings at the Kamitakamori ruins in Miyagi Prefecture and the Soshin-Fudozaka site in Hokkaido.

The admission prompted textbook publishers to correct their history texts on Paleolithic stone tools.

The interview Monday, which took place in Miyagi, lasted just 10 minutes. Fujimura, who spoke haltingly, would not allow his picture to be taken.

Fujimura said he became emotionally stricken after making the confession at a news conference Nov. 5. Since then he has been staying at a temple or with friends.

"I refrained from contacting my family .... I think somebody is always watching me," the Miyagi native said.

A team of archaeologists led by Fujimura announced Oct. 27 that they had discovered eight fragments of stone implements that experts believed were the oldest in Japan.

The Kamitakamori fragments were said to have been found in a layer of earth more than 600,000 years old.

The archaeologists said the tools dated back to the early Paleolithic Period, when early humans such as Peking Man lived in caves.

On Monday, Fujimura said he had collected some of the stone tools purported to have been found in Kamitakamori at a nearby site and collected others in Mount Yakurai in northern Miyagi for the Hokkaido ruin.


Shinichi Fujimura